- The Chocolate Museum! (need I say more??)
- Kölsch (beer from Cologne ... mmm!)
- The Dom (Cologne's beautiful cathedral ... see photos here)
- Garten Eden (yummy Chinese and sushi restaurant)
- Ganesha (yummy Indian restaurant, friendly staff)
- Brauhaus Sion (brewery and restaurant ... I finished a big meal with an apple streudel the size of my head!)
- the Rhine River (very pretty ... see photos here)
hmm ... is it me, or do the majority of those things have to do with food and drink?
So was there anything I didn't like about Cologne? Well, there was one day that was brutally hot, and I longed for some good old American air conditioning. Other than that, there was just one thing ... Philipp wasn't there! It was hard to be away from Philipp for so long. Luckily, my host family had internet and unlimited telephone service to France, so we did get to talk and write. But in addition to missing him, I worried about what he was eating. I prepared and froze several meals before leaving, knowing that he wouldn't cook for himself. He'd be happy eating cereal for two weeks!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
We finished the classes on Friday, July 4. Instead of heading back to France right away, I had arranged to spend the weekend near Cologne, with a friend and her parents. Katrin was an exchange student who spent 6 months with my family in New Hampshire when we were in high school. It was so nice to see her and her parents again (I'd seen them one other time ... in 1995). And they were such gracious hosts! We had lots of good food and good wine. (from the photo below, you see that the area is surrounded by vineyards). We went for a long bike ride and a drive in the mountains, and Katrin and I walked along the path through the vineyards. It was a wonderful weekend, and I continue to send a big VIELEN DANK to them all!
No comments:
Post a Comment