Tuesday, October 21, 2008

AMSTERDAM !

I've accomplished my goal!



5 marathons in 5 countries



Here's the recap:
  1. 5/2006 - Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon
  2. 4/2007 - Paris Marathon
  3. 9/2007 - Berlin Marathon
  4. 3/2008 - Barcelona Marathon
  5. 10/2008 - Amsterdam Marathon


The weather was perfect for running on Sunday morning ... cool with just a little breeze. (The wind did pick up a bit at times.) The start / finish was at the 1928 Olympic Stadium, within walking distance from the apartment Philipp and I rented. This was nice for two reasons: 1) We didn't have to depend on public transportation to get there and back, and 2) I was familiar with the last couple kilometers once we passed the apartment, so I knew just how much farther I had to go.



This was important, because the second half of the marathon was really tough for me. I knew that I shouldn't start too fast, which I didn't. I held a good pace for the first half, but wasn't overdoing it. Then, just around the halfway mark, the 3:45 pace team passed me. This was a blow to my psyche, because I'd wanted to finish in that time. I sped up a bit to pass them and stay in front of them. Unfortunately, at this point my heartrate had been just a little too high for several minutes, and this added pressure didn't help. Although I knew better, I kept pushing on at a pace just a little faster than I should. As a result, by km 30, I was hurting. I was exhausted, and despite my fueling (by eating energy gels) every 45 minutes, I was running out of steam. I saw Philipp, and walked with him for a few minutes. He was, as always, very supportive and encouraging. And I kept going.

I knew my goal of 3:45 was out the window. I'd had a goal of qualifying for Boston in 2010, and it was difficult to shake off my disappointment. I thought I might be able to beat my fastest time, but as I felt more and more tired, and was forced to take more and more walk breaks, even that didn't seem possible. I began focusing on just finishing.

The last several kilometers were tougher than any of my other marathons so far. I suppose what I'd done was hit the wall, by pushing too much early on. I'm still mad at myself for this, because I know better! But I can't change what happened, so I must see this as a lesson every marathoner must learn.





And I cannot be disappointed in my performance, because despite the fatigue at the end, I managed to make a new Personal Record: 3:55:11 !





Here's a video that Philipp shot of my finish. I'm in a green top and black running skirt. I look much more energetic here than I had for the previous several miles!








And here are a couple pictures from afterward:

outside the Olympic Stadium, with my very fashionable blue poncho

(an alternative to the mylar blanket)

back in the apartment, with my medal

(and looking out the window at the half marathon runners)

And ... of course ... I offer my thanks to Philipp for all his encouragement over these past several months of training. He's a great support and cheerleader.

He also helps provide me with pre-race fuel ...

... and even gave up watching the Formula 1 Grand Prix that took place at the same time as the marathon. Here he is in his Formula 1 Wooden Shoe. ;)

3 comments:

Beth said...

Congratulations!!

Alicia said...

Congratulations! I am so incredibly impressed. Who would have ever known so many (former) members of Granite State Ballet would be marathon finishers (not that I am, but from what I hear, Valerie is quite the runner, as is Erin Hall (who is a mom of many), Justyn (who is now also a mom), and Cory. (I ran into Cory while shopping for my wedding dress in Portsmouth 5 years ago).

Anyway, I am so impressed at your incredible accomplishment! Hoping we can get together upon your return to the states. I'd love to catch up!

Wishing you all the best,
Alicia

Alicia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.